Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Our pioneer neighbour & a gift.

We met one of our neighbours today. She's an eighty year old woman who runs a farm on her own strength and gumption. What a pioneer she is; much like my gran was. Twelve head of cattle, eighty-five chickens, a donkey, pigs and twelve well-fed barn cats. Her Pyrenees dog guards them all.

We chatted outside her gate for only minutes before we were invited to come inside her farm-house out of the cool wind. Her home is a renovated clapboard house that is beautifully cared for and decorated. A large stone fire-place keeps her toasty warm. You could see that she loved her home and was very proud of it. She has run her farm on her own, with some hired help,  for years now since her husband passed away and has no intention of stopping any time soon. She filled us in on the history of working her land, trials and triumphs of farming in the Manotick area, and all with charm and whit.

I have a place now to pick up farm-fresh eggs at a very reasonable price, I might add. :) And just try to stop me from visiting those twelve little mouse-chasin' fluff-balls that run around the farm after every leaf that blows by.

I think I have mentioned in earlier posts that around five pm we could always hear the sound of a donkey in the distance. Now I know where he lives and that he is loved and cared-for. It was great to meet another neighbour.
I hope to visit Lucy again soon.

My old step-back cupboard is only getting sweeter by the day. I received a lovely gift from another blogger, Mary-Lou from Patio Postcards http://patioposts.blogspot.ca/, and wanted to show you the new additions. She's from Ontario, too.
The stones are tiny and so much detail has gone into them. 


The kitten is a thimble; cute and handy.
Thank you so much, Mary-Lou for such a sweet and thoughtful gift. Mary-Lou and I have exchanged flower seeds in the past and will continue to stay in touch through our blogs.

I'm off to cat-sit.
Have a wonderful evening.
hugs, Deb

16 comments:

  1. How nice to sit and visit with a new found friend. I bet you DO go back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story of this obviously feisty lady - she must be quite a pistol! Her Farm sounds fabulous and fresh eggs will be so good - perhaps as you get to know her better she will allow you to take some photos to show us Deb. Would love to see the kitties of course.

    Your new additions to the cupboard are adorable.
    Happy day - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have such a delightful, charming and spunky neighbor. Your story about her has inspired and encouraged me.

    Thank you and happy fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new neighbor sounds wonderful. How encouraging to hear that she is still running the farm at 80 years old. That little kitty thimble is just precious, and the painted stones. That reminds me that my mother had one painted similar to those. I wonder what ever happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you are in for a lot of neat old stories from your new friend!
    I love Donkeys....try for a photo!
    Sweet gift from your blogging pal...
    Have a great week Deb!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a role model your neighbour is. 80! and still running the farm. I am SO glad you like your gifts & thank you for the shout out. ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to meet a neighbor and Lucy sounds like a woman much like my Granny. Sweet memories for you and a new friend. Enjoy the fresh eggs and all those kitties. Love your gifts ... another good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful neighbor! So glad you got to meet her. I love the sweet kitty stones, how talented she is. My Annie is setteling in just fine! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your neighbor reminds me of Tasha Tudor. What a lovely person she was. And as for the kitty thimble, you don't see Kitty Cucumber items around much now. Quite a collector's item!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute gift! Donkeys tend to be such characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worry for old people living on their own, especially those with so much to do, but it sound alike your neighbour is doing well in her home. I suspect you'll keep an eye out for her, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so hope that Lucy has those barn-kitties spayed and neutered! I'm with you, Deb...I'd be over there playing with them at every chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are not. I have my work cut out for me to try to convince her to spay the females.

      Delete
  13. I love hearing about vibrant and self-sufficient seniors - they are my inspiration as I am inching closer and closer to that time in my life. So nice that now you know where the donkey lives :) Love your sweet little gifts - so thoughtful and so 'you'! Wishing you a wonderful week ahead, Deb. xx K

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so adorable. What a lovely blog friend! And how nice to discover your pioneer neighbor -- and an egg supplier. Sounds like a very good day to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful new neighbor to have!!! Lucy sounds like a very sharp person that enjoys sharing information and especially history of the area!! It's good for her to also have you as neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete