Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Magnificent

The tabby cat
I've been caring for an old-timer, a distinguished 'ol tabby cat named Cortez. He prefers to be spoken to on his level so much of my time was spent sitting on the floor or deck.

He wasn't much of a talker...much preferred to listen. But he stayed while I rambled...he had good manners.
I told him that the Tabby Cat was not a breed but actually more a pattern. That many pedigreed cats carry the tabby stripes. The gene for tabby pattern can be found in all domestic cats.  The most distinctive feature seen in common on all tabby patterned cats is the M on the forehead. This got his interest and he moved his head into the sun to show me his M proudly.  I told him there are many 'tales' of why the cat had the M on the forehead. One goes as far back as the story of the cat in the manger. A tabby cat sat in the manger when the baby Jesus was born and seeing the baby was fussing, he cuddled up closer to keep the baby warm. Mary was so pleased that she placed the initial M on it's forehead. A wonderful legend indeed.

I told Cortez that I thought the M stood for Magnificent. He agreed and began to purr.


I'm joining Diane at http://dianaevans.blogspot.ca/ for Sweet Saturday and http://camera-critters.blogspot.ca/2012/04/camera-critters-210.html for Camera Critters.


hugs, Deb











10 comments:

  1. oh how sweet of you to join us for Sweet Saturdays!!!! love your cute photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story! I've never notice the M on tabbies before. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at my mom's house.

    here's my Camera Critters:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/04/camera-critters-41412.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a gorgeous old-timer. I'd never heard that story behind the distinctive M on the forehead. Who knows? It could be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cortez is a beauty indeed! You have the best job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information - thank you! Cortez has my way of spending today.

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Deb
    Cortez is a beauty! I miss having a cat but our two dogs are a handful as they don't know they are dogs and want to be treated like kids.. lol Have a good weekend!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a heart melter of a post, I so much enjoyed this tonight, thankyou so much for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwwwwwwww! Love the cat and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this old fellow! . His stripes alone could keep me mezmerized for hours. And he looks like he'd be heaven to cuddle. Kisses to you, sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cortez is looking very regal! Neat story, haven't heard this before:@)

    ReplyDelete