Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

heaven bound

Can it possibly be that we have competition in the 'office cat' category?
I have added another bed just in case.
Audrey loves her Uncle Ed

Next to my own mom, my mother-in-law was one of the best bakers I ever knew. I have a book full of her recipes and I love them all. She is now in a nursing home and doesn't bake anymore but the memory of all her 'delectables' is very fresh in my mind. You know I love muffins...oh yes, and these bran muffins are the best ever.
You might as well be doing your body some good if you are going to dive into the carbs.
So, here goes...
Bran Muffins
In a large bowl add...2 beaten eggs to 1/2 tsp. salt. Add 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup butter.
Then add 2 cups of flaky bran cereal.
Mix in 2 cups of sour milk. (take 2 cups of milk and add 1 tsp. of vinegar to make sour milk)
In a separate bowl, 2 cups of all purpose flour
add 2 tsp. baking soda
Add to wet mixture
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. (24 muffins)
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until nicely brown on top 
Oh, did you notice I found another pretty tea-cup in our local antique/thrift shop.
It is Phoenix China..made in England and it's short, round and has a large handle. It is stamped with wings and RCAF Trenton, Ontario. 
 Since my mom has passed on, my sister Diane has become, just like my mother was, an excellent baker. She has mastered pie crust and her pies melt in your mouth. We enjoy lots of her goodies and one of these days I'll give you her meat pie recipe for those who love 'tourtiere',  (Diane's style).

I am staying close to home today as I have many beautiful cats to care for this weekend.
Cremes, tabbies, marmalades, grey's & calico's 
I'm in kitty-heaven.
Which brings me to this...If the thought of 'heaven' doesn't make your eyes cross, do you think animals go to heaven?
It's always been a bit of a debate in my home so I'm wondering what you think. The Christian faith believe that animals do not have a 'soul'...hence...no heaven bound for them. Pfffffffffffffffffft! This doesn't sit right with me. When they add such beauty, innocence, love and peace to our lives, how can this be? Personally, if there are no cats or dogs in heaven, I'm really going to have to re-think my end of life plan. It doesn't sound so heavenly without them. And what would I do with myself? "No Kane...
...oh my goodness!"
I'm just having fun but seriously it did cross my mind.
How could Annie have the face of an 'ol soul if she doesn't have one?
"What do you think, Toad?"
"Balderdash"

Anyway...enjoy those muffins and add some honey on top to make them more 'heavenly'.

hugs, Deb


17 comments:

  1. I can only imagine that heaven will be filled with all of God's beautiful creation. Therefore, since he created animals, I believe we'll see our fur babies again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this link will work, but it's what Billy Graham has to say about pets in heaven.

    http://www.turn-lane.com/billygrahamspeaksaboutpets

    In case it doesn't he says, "God will provide us with everything we need to be happy in Heaven -- and if animals are necessary to make us completely happy there, then you can be confident He will arrange for them to be with us."

    I have to believe that someday I will be reunited with every pet I ever had...to me that would be the icing on the cake in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that animals' souls are purer to begin with, they never lie, cheat, steal like humans do. Perhaps animals ask the question "Do you think humans go to heaven?".
    Jane x
    PS The teacup in the picture has "wings" is it RAF RCAF RFC or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have written the recipe down and i'm going right now to make them, we ahve been on the search for a really good bran muffin and these are it!The photos of your cats in baskets makes my heart sqeeze, I had baskets all over for ours, sadly I developed allergies, (seriuos allergies) to cats when I had a head injury that caused me to have problems from the bruise on my brain, coming to visit you is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, those muffins look delicious and healthy -- thanks for sharing it.

    As for animals in heaven, well, I certainly hope so. And who can say they don't have a soul -- When I look in the Gypsy's eyes, I can see he has a soul as deep as the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll just follow to wherever my kitties go! Soon you'll need a bigger office for all the denizens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane -I meant to add that and forgot. It is stamped with wings, RCAF Trenton, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you are talking on this subject I have to tell you that my husband has seen (actually seen) our beautiful Kitty on 2 occasions in the kitchen and not as you would expect shortly after her death but months later. He has also felt a cat brush past his leg on another occasion.
    Not wanting to bore you I have another story.
    Whilst sitting in my friends house my husband remarked to her that he didn't know that she had a cat, she answered that she didn't have a cat any longer, her cat had been dead for 5 years, my husband described the cat and it was correct.
    I must add the Tom is not the kind of person to make things up and is a very quiet type of person.
    so glad that I didn't see Kitty it would have broken my heart.
    I still can't really talk or think of her without tears in my eyes.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure...
    but I wonder if our pets don't make us kinder, more patient and loving people. If we love the furry little so and so's then we become more the selves were originally meant to be.
    I wonder if in heaven all is renewed, humans including creation, for the better, then why can't our furry ones be a part of heaven.
    God loves us-as a parent-don't we want what makes our children happy. I would want to do that for my kids...
    If God's eye is on a tiny sparrow that falls then I think he cares more than we realize about all animals, especially those that hold such a unique place in our hearts.
    all of this is disjointed because I've debated so often, and through tears, but through inference and a soul longing, I would say yes.
    phew-no more philosophical or theological questions for me
    I'm going to lie down and try to nap with a kitty purring next to me--heavenly =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I debate the pets in heaven
    and I wonder
    -if heaven is all the world renewed, people, animals etc
    -God is a loving Father
    -if our furry "babies" make us better because we learn caring,
    patience and self sacrifice
    -if God's eye is on the sparrow when it falls-He cares even when a tiny bird falls even if no one else sees
    then I guess I would infer that our pets will be in heaven
    (the furry little so and so's :)
    All this theology and philosophizing has tuckered me out--sides,, there is a certain Winston kitty who is begging to be fed-poor thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Animals absolutely go to heaven - in fact, if you want to know what I really think - they originate there. I firmly believe that animals are angels wrapped in fur, come down to earth to model unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think you can have too many office cats. There is always room for one more. :)
    No one could convince me that animals do not have souls. They all have different personalities so how can they not have souls? If there is a 'heaven', then it has to include animals otherwise, how could it be called heaven? Haha!
    Happy Sunday Deb!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh dear-I apologize for my multiple comments =(
    When I clicked submit, for both, I got a server error message
    each time.
    I didn't think they had gone through-please feel free to delete them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If people go to heaven, then cats (animals) go to heaven. Of course they have souls. No question in my mind that my furbabies have/had souls. I look forward to *my* heaven being populated by all my animals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If there were no pets there, I wouldn't wish to be there either.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe that God is love and so there must be our beloved pets in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of course they have souls. Maybe different from the human soul, but a soul.

    ReplyDelete