Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Keys are the ticket

I love keys. I have a box full of keys because I am a cat-sitter and we carry lots of them. You'd think just the fact that I have to carry so many and keep track of them all the time would be enough to make me groan at the thought of them but I truly love the look of them. The key-chains added by clients are always very personal and some are hilarious. Now, I know that the keys belonging to my clients are not my business to be photographing so I won't do that but I will say that some of the key-chains are very catchy.

My favorite keys are the 'old ones' you find in antique shops. I actually have a few that came with our house as we live in a home that is over 100 years old. We have the original doors and some of the keys. I just find them so funky looking and it takes me back to my grandmothers home in the country and I remember her keys hanging on a nail in her summer kitchen beside the old screen door. How I loved that kitchen *smile*

One of my kitty-clients is a jewellery maker and she has designed a few pieces around old keys. Just fantastic! I purchased a couple of necklaces made with the old keys and I love them. She put nice long cords on them and the keys come in 2 sizes. Do check out her blog called Venus Beadery. You'll love her work.http://venusbeadery.blogspot.com/

The teeny one is from a music box


"Aren't they beautiful? I like them because they are brown like me."
Lots of cat-sitting ahead. I'll have many gorgeous pics to show you soon. Never a dull moment around here and tomorrow I am also starting to care for a German Shepherd who is owned by my husband's friend. Let's say that WE are dog-sitting since Gary got me into this he will be doing some of it too. Her name is Helma and she is a lovely girl. I am also now in the Christmas-mode so forgive me but the pics will be coming fast and furious. I hope everyone will start posting Christmas decor soon. I can't wait to see all the gorgeous Christmas trees (I'm a fanatic, ya know)

Taken in 1979

So let's see who will have their tree up first. It won't be me because Sierra wants a real one again so I have to wait a bit but I just know some of you will be putting them up soon. I'll just decorate the rest of my house and I think you will enjoy what I do with my staircase.
By the way, it is snowing and blowing and raining and freezing and just plain brutal out there tonight. I am just back from feeding the feral cats up the road. I know they have shelter because some have been there a long time but I pray they will be warm tonight and sleep well with a full tummy. That's all I can do for now.



God Bless them.

Hugs, Deb

4 comments:

  1. Agggh, Christmas is coming up too quickly. I want go back (or fast forward) to spring, thanks. :-)

    I have keys tucked away in various places through the house, can't remember what most of them open. Probably the lock-able items are long gone by now. Our old house in Quebec had old fashioned locks and keys for the interior doors. Much more visually interesting than the fobs so common today!

    Have a wonderful weekend! I know I don't comment often, but I still keep up with your blog. Wanted to suggest that you just keep Rae-Rae. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stating to get very excited about Christmas. I think it's nice your Thanksgiving is earlier then ours so you can go from Halloween to Christmas. I do try to give Thanksgiving it's due first then hit Christmas fast and furious! Sierra is such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've said before, you must be a saint. Going out to feed those poor cats in the brutal cold. I commend you. I adore keys. I had a real old one that I keep looking for, but have managed to either lose or misplace.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention Deb! Hope you are enjoying your keys xx

    ReplyDelete