Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

No CAN do

Today is a quiet day for me to catch up at home. I have dog biscuit orders to finish & cats to groom. I have a day off from cat-sitting although it starts up again tonight and will be busy for the coming weekend. Love those kitties! I will mostly work in the kitchen today....my favorite spot to tidy up. 


I have not met one person who thinks having 1/2 used cans of cat food with plastic lids in their refrigerator is nice No it's not nice. So I have a suggestion that works great in my kitchen.
If you look at my post daily you will have seen that I add pumpkin to my cat's daily feedings. It helps with digestion and keeps them regular. "Have you ever met a 21 year old, constipated cat? It's nasty, I tell ya."
So here is what I do. After purchasing my weekly canned cat food, I open all the cans and mix them in a large bowl with 1/4 can of pumpkin. This is then scooped into a glass container with a lid and dated. This is refrigerated for a week and will stay neat and tidy in the fridge...no cans. When needed, just spoon out what you need for your meals and the pumpkin is already added.
If your cat does not like food straight from the refrigerator, let stand on the counter for 10 minutes or add a tablespoon of hot water to the mixture. My lovelies aren't fussy that way.






Have a tight fitting lid

Today's date (should last approx. 1 week)
Extra pumpkin can be frozen in containers for next time.

Label what it is

Voila! No cans in your fridge.

I have one more week before the baking equipment is removed from my kitchen to be delivered to the new owner. I will have more space...S..P..A..C..E .. to play with. YIPPEE!


Riley thinks you are all very funny.

Hope you all had a great day today. We are in for some warm weather ahead.

hugs, Deb


6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so cool that your cats eat pumpkin mixed with their food. I'll have to tell my husband about that. And I have to tell you that I was just listening to this very song (And So It Goes) just minutes before I logged on to your blog... the version I was listening to was Karrin Allyson, an amazing jazz artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all think Riley is adorable! That is a great idea about mixing the pumpkin in and not having nasty cans in the fridge! Charlie eats his food right from the refrigerator also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEB!!! I can not tell you how timely your post for today is. I am taking my Banjo to the vet (again) tomorrow to be 'cleaned out' because he has megacolon. Pumpkin ~ who knew! I am going to give it a try ~ what have I got to lose right?

    And your little Riley is growing so fast ~ so cute!

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this idea.Im loving the pumpkin thing too.I have a 3 year old cat that once in a while get constipated.


    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Deb, I wish you lived near us. It is so hard to find a cat-sitter for Sherkhan when we travel... good cat sitters are so hard to find, specially since that little thing needs to be on a special diet...

    All the best.

    - Reenie- Sherkhan's human

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea...and I love the label on the container!

    ReplyDelete