Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lily turns 15

8 years ago I adopted this vision in white from a hard life. My Vet told me she would be approximately 7 years old at the time. She was starving and all her teeth had to be removed from lack of nutrition and infection in her gums. Within a week, she was off baby food and eating with the rest of them. I can't tell you how much I love this little cat. She has brought me so much love and joy over the last 8 years. She is like a little duckling...follows me around and loves to be close. I feel very fortunate that she found me.


Cat tip for the Day =^..^= Feeding a Senior Cat

I live with 5 senior cats and I mean 'Senior'. They are 15, 17, 18, 21, & 23 years old. Most of these cats were rescued. I find that my cats do well on a mixture of dry & soft food. I feed them Eagle Pack Adult Dry mixed with Iams Low-Calorie dry and many different holistic soft foods. They get quite a variety of foods and seem happy with that. What I have done to make feeding time easier for them is to raise the bowls for them. You can purchase the raised feeders but just putting a bowl on top of an upside down bowl will also work. It is easier on their backs and spines and I find they eat more this way. I have one, Sierra who is overweight so I watch her carefully but other than that they are all getting thinner as they age. Funny how that works for them and yet we humans seem to have the opposite problem. *sigh*

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Deb, she's a beautiful cat! Bless your heart for loving and taking care of these darling animals!
    Thank you for popping in to see me and I hope you'll come to my party on May 7th! Maybe one of your kitties could snap with you! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Lilly! She is a beautiful Kitty Girl. I wish I could have more cats, but my Honey Honey says one is enough. We had two but lost one when we moved....she did fine here for 2 months and was going out some and then vanished...I have been very sad for almost a year now! She was a calico named Emily. I would only want older rescue cats now. They are so loving and gentle and really appreciate being cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday Lily, such a gorgeous kitty!...It is wonderful of you, Deb to rescue and love so many senior babies; they are all so lucky to have found you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a dear, sweet loving person to care for animals the way you do. Lily is so pretty and sweet looking. I pray that my two kittie babies have long lives.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a doll your are,
    such a kind animal heart!
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Miss Lily from my staff! She's a real beauty, Deb! Isn't it funny how the ones we rescue seem so appreciative! Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete